Gnawing and Biting: Gnaw, Shih (SHIH HO)
Hexagram Number 21 Keyword(s):Biting Through
Symbolic of: hate
THE SHIH HO HEXAGRAM
The General Meaning
Shih Ho indicates successful progress (in the
condition of things which it supposes). It will be advantageous to
use legal constraints.
Explanation of the separate lines
1. The first NINE, undivided, shows one with his
feet in the stocks and deprived of his toes. There will be no error.
2. The second SIX, divided, shows one biting
through the soft flesh, and (going on to) bite off the nose. There
will be no error.
3. The third SIX, divided, shows one gnawing dried
flesh, and meeting with what is disagreeable. There will be occasion
for some small regret, but no (great) error.
4. The fourth NINE, undivided, shows one gnawing
the flesh dried on the bone, and getting the pledges of money and
arrows. It will be advantageous to him to realise the difficulty of
his task and be firm,--in which case there will be good fortune.
5. The fifth SIX, divided, shows one gnawing at
dried flesh, and finding the yellow gold. Let him be firm and
correct, realising the peril (of his position). There will be no
6. The sixth NINE, undivided, shows one wearing
the cangue, and deprived of his cars. There will be evil.